But I wanted to take just a few minutes to document my MOMENT. You know, one of those moments that just pull at your heart strings. A moment that probably doesn't seem like anything big to someone else, but for YOU it's a MOMENT.
The other night, we had the pleasure of attending Kaylee's choir performance. That in itself is always a treat to see my daughter up on stage sharing her beautiful voice and her love of singing with others. We also had the privilege that day to see Tiani sing the national anthem at her middle school basketball game. They both did amazing! So, we had TWO special events that day. Our girls made us proud beyond words. But it's what happened on the way home that night that really touched me, made me happy, and reminded me of the joys in life.
Here's what happened: We rode home together in the car.
Yup. That's it. I bet you thought I'd have some incredibly inspiring story to share. Nope. Nothing "amazing" happened...we just had a fun ride home. It seems that once you have a driving teenager with her own car, that times are very few when you actually have your entire family in the car together. But on this night, we had Chelsey riding with us, too. I didn't realize how much I missed those days of all being together in the car until that very moment. I guess I have really, really missed it. Every seat but one in our 8 seater car was taken and my world felt complete in that moment. My husband and all my precious "cargo" were right there with me, safe and sound. And it was bitter sweet because I loved having my family all together, but then I realized that very soon, these times are going to be all but gone once Chelsey heads off to college. That made me very sad. I don't think I'm quite ready for that. :(
It was a typical noisy 20 minute ride home...everyone seemed to be trying to out-talk each other. But at some point, we all started to just LAUGH. We laughed at each other and with eachother...and it was WONDERFUL. I realized at that simple moment that everything I love most in this entire world was right there with me in our beat up old car...and I was HAPPY and GRATEFUL. All my cares and worries seemed to disappear at the moment. I wanted that moment to last forever.
It was a MOMENT for me. A moment that I was reminded of the SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE...just being together. Talking. Laughing. We came home and sat around the kitchen table and enjoyed some donuts together. No t.v. No computers. No other distractions. Just US talking and laughing again. I don't even remember what we were talking or laughing about, but it didn't matter. It was just the special feeling of being with each other.
I'm grateful beyonds words for that MOMENT. I think I will look at our car rides differently now. When we are all together, squashed in our car, fighting over who's sitting where, complaining that it's hot and the air doesn't work, or disagreeing about what to listen to on the radio, I will just smile to myself and enjoy the moment. For these moments will soon be just a memory. Sigh.





1 comment:
Shelley! Thank you. Thank you Thank you Thank you! This really struck a chord for me. Lately I have realized just how many distractions there are from quality family time. Not even BAD things... just THINGS! And mostly the technology (that I love!). There is always something to distract us from enjoying those moments with those whom we love most. And riding together as a family is truly one of the few ways left that we are "forced" to be together. It's great. :)
Since there are only two of my youngest siblings living at my parents home now, it baffles me that it feels like yesterday that we were all (6) fighting over the front seat.
So, so much has changed.
I am pleased to know you are cherishing those moments.
Post a Comment